Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Day of Ryan



Sounds like you really meant it this time. I wish I could say the same about your father, who, by the grace of God, has stopped listening to me altogether. I felt smaller than Rome.



Last night's Ryan Adams show at Bowery was wonderful. I hope all the indie rock bands in town were there to learn about writing an actual song that stands up without having to hide behind a cool synth or guitar part. Sometimes all he had to do was sing over a drum beat and a staccato bassline and it was perfection. Some Zeppelin-esque numbers were bookends to country rockers and dirty garage sounds. I will always prefer the acoustic solo Ryan Adams to the rocker but I had a blast with his rockier repertoire choices. See below for the setlist (via Amrit.

"Love Is Hell”
“This Is It”
“Please Do Not Let Me Go”
“Cherry Lane”
“Note To Self: Don't Die”
“Peaceful Valley”
“Wish You Were Here”
“Magnolia Mountain”
“Easy Plateau”
“Hard Way To Fall”
“Let It Ride”
“To Be Young”
“Dear Chicago”
“Cold Roses”
“Beautiful Sorta”
------
“Call Me On Your Way Back Home”
“Come Pick Me Up”
“Mockingbird”

Also present were Casey, Rachael, BrooklynVegan, and the "Other Wes" ;).



Tonight I'm going to see Jay-Z and then Sunday night of course is the Undisputed Heavyweights live EP recording night at Rockwood Music Hall at 9pm with Paula Valstein, Schram and Mike Grubbs.

Download of the Day
Ryan Adams - Harder Now It's Over (live) (MP3)
Ryan Adams - When The Stars Go Blue (live) (MP3)
Ryan Adams - Mockingbird Song (live) (MP3)
Ryan Adams - Rescue Blues (live) (MP3)
Ryan Adams - Kiss Before I Go (live) (MP3)
Ryan Adams - Magnolia Mountain (live) (MP3)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the set made up for the rain and Bowery basement bar bedlam. B.

11:18  
Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

i dont think that was me. the only blonde wavy hair girl i remember was the one that was loudest and drunkest but that couldn't been you i guess haha

02:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS