Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Day Of Hip Hop


Chennai, India - 7/26/06

Today my first post at BrooklynVegan will go up. I will be the resident Hip Hop poster with a weekly round up of Hip Hop news. It shall be grand and spectacular and I might end up being shot by 50 Cent. But it's all for a good cause. The enlightenment of the public. I am but a swizzle in the wind.

I've had this piece of text in my draft folder for the longest time. I wanted to post it, but then it's also kind of cheesy I thought, but I've decided it's not.

The Paradox Of Our Age. We have bigger houses but smaller families; more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense; more knowledge but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicines but less healthiness. Weve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble in crossing the street to meet our new neighbour. We built more computers to hold more copies than ever, But have less real communication; We have become long on quantity, but short on quality. These are times of fast foods but slow digestion; Tall men but short characters; Steep profits but shallow relationships. Its a time when there is much in the window But nothing in the room. 14th Dalai Lama.

I thought a lot about all this when I first read it and it keeps coming up as I maneuver through the maze of craze that is New York. Do you guys at all relate?

The Knife is coming for the first NYC show November 1st at Webster! Exciting. No clue what their live show would be like. Tickets went on sale today. The wrote one of my favorite songs of last year: Heartbeats (later covered by Jose Gonzalez).

Download of the Day
The Knife - Neverland (MP3) via SpeedRail
The Knife - Heartbeats (MP3) via NastyPanda
The Knife - Marble Houses (MP3) via YellowStereo
The Knife - From Off To On (MP3) via SpeedRail
The Knife - Lasagna (MP3) via MusicIsArt

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god i can't believe this kid is still running with the "the day of..." moment of witticism

16:23  
Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

Well it's not really intended as wit, but yep, since day one of posting here. Actually since day one of posting elsewhere before coming here.

16:31  
Blogger Unknown said...

what's up wes. i read your hip-hop post on BV. it's nice to see you around... hip-hop was being missed over there.

12:15  
Blogger Tina said...

I like your Dalai Lama quote - not cheesy and definitely relatable to the nyc living experience. When I first moved here I was the loneliest girl and yet surrounded by millions of people. Strange paradoxes abound.
Nice BV spot, I can totally see you turning into an industry asshole now. I'll tell everyone how you used to be nice and they'll be like "you don't know Wes!" and I'll be like "no really, I used to. He came to my house for a BBQ once."

12:38  
Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

thanks eduardo! and tina!

12:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The(error) wrote one of my favorite songs of last year: Heartbeats (later covered by Jose Gonzalez).



they.

13:36  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are many examples of good essays in the web but we have to be carefull when we choose some of them for our studying. It could be used earlier and the teacher will understand that you write it not on your own.

16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS