Friday, August 17, 2007

M.I.A.'s Kala Album And How I Don't I Get It

DOWNLOAD M.I.A. - Come Around ft Timbaland (MP3) via ScrableNetwork

I like conspiracy theories. Love even. I enjoy seeing them in places they might not be at all. I see them all over, under, around and inside of the musical project M.I.A.. Specifically concerning her new album Kala.

I don't usually ever write about music I don't really enjoy, but this case is different. The most interesting aspect of me not enjoying M.I.A.'s music is the high volume of people whose musical taste or skills I respect that adore her. Friends, music writers, other musicians, even geniuses like Timbaland all seem to go crazy for M.I.A.


MS Paint is so back

When her first album, Arular, came out I tried hard to enjoy it, but I was unsuccessful. Now with the impending release of her new one I was motivated to give it another try. I didn't even skip any tracks. It took all the way til the very last track for me to find something did indeed enjoy. And this was the uncharacteristically structured and flowing Timbaland produced and featured track Come Around.

It's not so much that I dislike M.I.A.'s music, it's that I just don't get it. I can't find a groove to sit in. I like her sass, but I can't find any thing to hold onto in the music. What is the big deal?

Even the steady 3 star whoring Rolling Stone gave it 4.5 stars. I throw my hands in the air.

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

This album has a couple nice tracks but Arular was goddawful and there is no question that she is wildly overrated. I'm with you Wes.

15:57  
Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

yessss there's two of us now! haha

16:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to explain, but the music is ABOVE your head. Ya gotta listen to it as background music first, offset it outside your immediate consciousness. Then it seeps in. That's why Timbaland is nuts over it, why the NY Times and Washington Post and MSNBC and MTV... well, you get the picture!

21:08  
Blogger Jerome said...

Just listen to the tracks that Diplo produced on the album.

I didn't even enjoy the track that Timbaland produced

Diplo's Paper Planes (track 11) has a dope sample from The Cure and a great hook.

01:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya i think it just might be over your head a lil...i love her lyrics and what she sings about...and her album has more of a club/dance/electro feel to it...so you just might have different taste and thats cool. But you dont really grove to it...you dance like crazy or you get fucked up and chill. (I love all her music...how could you not) In my opinion she's the best thing to happen to music in a long long time:)

17:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS