Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Day Of Splendor



I went to see the Roots a week or so ago. It was a star studded line up featuring Common, Talib Kweli, Nas and Slum Village. There was a second night that was more R&B oriented as was to feature Erykah Badu and others. There was all the reason in the world to expect a surprise Jay-Z appearance on the first night through his strong links to the Roots, Nas and references to Talib and Common in the past. Basically I KNEW he was going to appear. I ended up slightly dissappointed with the night and Jay-Z didn't show. Now I never even considered he'd show up on the second night, but what do I find days later on YouTube?



Damn you Jay-Z! Damn you!

Memorial Day is coming up. I wasn't really sure what people were memorializing. I tried to find an American on the street to explain it to me. But everyone in my neighborhood was part of a Puerto Rico pride parade, one of 17 held throughout the year because it might be a tiny place but they're real proud of it. Justifiably so of course. I had to resort to the Wikipedia and found it was about "U.S. men and women who died in military service for their country". Interestingly enough it seems to be celebrated by grilling meat and drinking beer in public. I think most people celebrate having a day off, rather than commemorating the past. I guess that is the natural progress holidays make over the years. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't get up out of that cave to go to Heaven leaving a note to instruct his followers to "worship the bunny that lays chocolate eggs every year on this day". I have a little plastic bear full of honey that says otherwise.

Download of the Day
Rick Ross ft Jay-Z & Young Jeezy - Hustlin' (rmx) (MP3) Via CMM

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger c said...

hi wes - i got your comment about the world cup pool at scatter o' light. send me an email and we'll get you in there.

scatterolight (at) gmail (dot) com

i like your commentary on easter by the way. ha!

18:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

23:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS