Monday, February 25, 2008

LISTEN: Joe Budden Interview

DOWNLOAD Joe Budden Interview By DJ Booth (MP3)

Joe Budden talks more about leaving Def Jam and a host of other items. An excerpt below, download the full interview above or check it out here.
DJ Booth: In "Roll Call," you threw some jabs at the old label regarding the priorities
Joe Budden: And it felt great.
DJ Booth: Jay, Kanye, Jeezy are obviously at the top of that list. But likewise, most labels have that same problem. You look at Shady/Aftermath, they have artists like Stat Quo, or Bobby Creekwater, who signed back in '05. They haven't dropped anything. Do you think just across the board, majors in general, it's just not the right time?
Joe Budden: No. Certain majors just know what they're doin', and got a good grip on the dynamic of what's happening, and some don't. I think Def Jam happened to be one of the labels that really didn't have a good grip on things that were going on. I'll say that – that's my political answer.
DJ Booth: Joe, knowing what you know about label politics and corporate BS, regardless of the success that you did see on your debut, would you still have inked your signature on that Def Jam recording contract?
Joe Budden: No. Nope, nope, nope, nope nope. Definitely not. I would have had a clause in my contract; I would've definitely put some fine print in my contract that said, "If the president leaves, I'm leaving." That'd be the bottom line there. The people that signed me at Def Jam ended up leaving shortly after I released my album. So then it's like, I was in a whole different world, I was at a whole different label, a label ran more like Arista instead of Def Jam, and I didn't sign to Arista, I signed to Def Jam. So, no, I probably would not have signed that.

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS