Friday, November 16, 2007

INTERVIEW: Cassidy

Today I spoke to Cassidy and we discussed his new album B.A.R.S. (The Barry Adrien Reese Story)., changes in the music industry, his recent Jay-Z comments, one-hit wonders, art vs. commerce, and Allen Iverson. He didn't pull any punches and had some interesting insights in the industry right now. Read a few excerpted quotes below and click here to read the full interview.


On his album sales: [...] I'm very happy with how I'm doing. We've got the #2 rap record in the country. Also, it's a good look because it's not like I've been releasing a lot of music since my last album, or came out with two videos before the album and a ton of singles. I was literally gone for two years [...].

On one-hit wonders: "Nowadays artists have their little hit song, but they haven't mastered their talent yet. They become one hit wonders that got lucky with one song. And labels don't mind. [...] People nowadays buy the hot track of the moment by the hot new artist, but they might not even know what they look like or what region they're from and they're not going to be checking for the album."

On art versus commerce: "I have a lot of love for the art and I would do it regardless even if I wasn't in the business."

On the Jay-Z comments: "It's not even a competition thing to me. I mean, how could it be? Jay-Z is the President of Def Jam, he's a 40 year old MC and has been a successful rapper for so long, he's made all that money and he has so many connections. [...] What I was trying to say originally was that Jay-Z is a bigger and more successful artist than I am, but my story right now is greater and more interesting than Jay-Z's story. It's not greater than his story then, from when he was a freshly successful artist, but it's greater than his story now. [...] People already know Jay's story, and he is an MC on his way out. [...] He can't be the hottest rapper forever."

If Jay-Z is Jordan then Cassidy is..: "Right now I'd have to compare myself to Allen Iverson. And I'm not even saying that because he's the best player in the game. [...] He is the best player, but he doesn't have any rings yet."

To get the full picture go here to read the full interview and read the quotes above in proper context.

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS