Tuesday, April 29, 2008

LISTEN: Atmosphere - Dreamer

STREAM Atmosphere - Dreamer (MP3)

Atmosphere's new record is called When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold, which may be the best album title of the year so far. Which is actually quite fitting since after spinning it a mere 3 times (in a row) I am going to go out on a limb and say it might also be the best record of the year so far. The artistry shines through. The care the artists took in crafting this album easily outshines the financially-oriented, cookie-cutter, formulaic approach most rappers seem to take. The packaging of the deluxe release (includes DVD & book) is exceptional as well, which seems to indicate they take this serious on every level. This is not a collection of songs. This is an album. I have put 'Dreamer' up in the SDSU Music Player in the sidebar. It's one of my favorite tracks and reminds me of 2Pac's 'Brenda's Got A Baby' and other tracks from the past where conscious, inspiring rhymes were still cool to most fans. The beats are quality and relying on nice piano loops and other acoustic instruments matched up with classic drum sounds. Pick this record up kids. Out now.

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

now while I appreciate you sharing your opinion, eloquently even, I must let you know that I generally agree about the 'emo rap/white rap' category (even though that's a little bit racist) sucking, but that makes it an even stronger statement that I like this album so much. I was hesitant and had preconceived notions (like you seem to have), but then ended up being really impressed

07:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, instead of taking the "financially-oriented, cookie-cutter, formulaic approach most rappers seem to take" the take the "pretentious, artier-than thou, privillaged white approach most myspace rappers and anti-con losers take. Maybe if I was 15, and smoked a whole shitload of pot, and knew nothing about rap music I might like this. And I guess "relying on nice piano loops and other acoustic instruments matched up with classic drum sounds". Me rapping over shit that either sounds like Scarface's "My Block" (ie. "Yesterday) or Red Hot Chilli Peppers style gutiar (ie "Guarantees") or retarded techno influenced new rave sounding shit (ie Shoulda Know) or retarded out-dated, soft, flute sampling bullshit (ie the rest of the album). I can't beleive you made me listen to any of this bullshit. even for a second. I don't even fuck with sit down stand up anymore. Shit is hella weak.
PS: Get off the pot.

17:29  
Blogger Wesley Verhoeve said...

"pretentious, artier-than thou, privillaged white approach most myspace rappers and anti-con losers take.

I'm not aware of how privileged their upbringing was to be honest. I do know that Ice Cube is a child of a hospital clerk and a UCLA professor, and himself studied Architectural Drafting in college. Doesn't make him any less of a great great gangsta rapper


..retarded techno influenced new rave sounding shit (ie Shoulda Know) or retarded out-dated, soft, flute sampling bullshit (ie the rest of the album).

whoa whoa, double retarded? that's pretty retarded indeed!

I can't beleive you made me listen to any of this bullshit.

I was unaware of my powers. I thought I just suggested you check out the one track I posted and then check out the rest for yourself. Pretty cool though. Now go write a book...and..um...finish college! (I'm testing my powers)

I don't even fuck with sit down stand up anymore.

no homo?

PS: Get off the pot.

you must be referring to the bathroom, because I don't even smoke. and i'll get off that pot once im finished and/or my wifi cuts out.

17:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home

SDSU's SPONSORS